Boosting Your Immunity Naturally: Ayurveda and Yoga
As pollution, urbanization, and modern lifestyles weakened away at our natural defenses, recurring illnesses are on the rise. While genetics play a role in immunity, you can take action to bolster your resistance against seasonal shifts. Enter Ayurveda and Yoga, powerful allies in enhancing your immune system.
But it’s not just physical immunity that matters in today’s world – mental immunity is equally crucial. While unfamiliar, the concept of mental immunity involves maintaining stability and emotional resilience in the face of crises that often unsettle the mind.
Conditions due to Low Immunity
Mentioned below are some of the conditions occurring as a result of lowering of immunity in different systems of the body:
- Respiratory system – COVID-19, rhinitis, bronchitis, sinusitis, asthma, pain in the flanks, etc.
- Skin – Pimples, rashes, boils, abscess, eczema/dermatitis, hair fall, premature grey hair, SLE, psoriasis, etc.
- Digestive system – Gastritis, indigestion, constipation, liver disorders, GERD, gall stones, carcinoma, etc.
- Metabolic disorders – Diabetes mellitus.
- Circulatory problems – Venous disorders, arterial disorders, heart ailments, dyslipidemia, etc.
- Urinary system – Urinary stones, etc.
- Excretory system – Piles, anal fissure, anal fistula, etc.
- Reproductive system – Erectile dysfunction, premature ejaculation, infertility, irregular menses, etc.
Need for Good Immunity
In today’s polluted world, having strong immunity is crucial to fight off illnesses. Staying healthy has become tough due to pollution, and we’re at risk of getting sick easily. Things like bad eating habits, not sleeping enough, and not being active make our immunity weak, and that’s when diseases can attack us. Building good immunity is one of the best ways to stay healthy and prevent diseases. Ayurveda and Yoga help boost both our physical and mental immunity. To make our immunity strong, we need to get rid of toxins from our body through detoxification and use medicines that make our immunity better without any harmful effects. When our body can resist diseases well, we’re much less likely to get sick again and again.
There are simple and natural ways to enhance your immunity. These methods can help your body become stronger in fighting off illnesses:
1. Exercise: Physical activity is great for your immune system. Sweating it out through jogging, cycling, running, or aerobics for 30-45 minutes a day can boost your immunity. Yoga’s physical movements, called asanas, like Vajrasan, Sarvangasan, Halasan, Dhanurasan, and Bhujangasan, practiced for 2 minutes a day, can also help.
2. Detoxification: Detoxifying your body is important. Toxins can weaken your immune system. Turmeric, lime, and honey are good detoxifiers. Ayurvedic therapy called Panchakarma is a seasonal detox method that boosts immunity and reduces the chances of cold, cough, and flu.
3. Healthy Diet: The food you eat affects your immunity. Foods with too much refined sugar slow down antibody production. A balanced diet rich in vitamins is helpful. Fiber-rich foods strengthen the immune system. Avoid excess salt, sugar, spice, fried foods, alcohol, and smoking. Consume ghee, bitter gourd, amla, warm food, dry fruits, honey, and fruits (avoid for diabetics).
4. Adequate Sleep: Getting a good night’s sleep is vital. It lets your body heal damaged cells and create new antibodies. Avoid smoking and drinking, as they harm your immune system. Maintain a regular sleep pattern to build and maintain immunity.
5. Psychological Well-Being: Mental health matters for a strong immune system. High stress levels, anger, and jealousy can weaken immunity. Yoga and meditation help counter stress. A healthy lifestyle and daily routine also contribute to a naturally stronger immune system.
6. Digital detoxification:In the era of smart digital devices, our lives are intertwined with screens. Yet, surrendering to these gadgets can jeopardize our well-being. Enter the concept of digital detox – a means to break free from addiction to smart devices such as smartphones, TVs, tablets, and other tech companions. This detoxification is particularly crucial for nurturing mental immunity, as the strength of our mental resilience often goes hand in hand with our physical immunity.
Improving/gaining immunity through Ayurveda and Yoga has multi-fold benefits like:
- Instantaneous results (3-5 weeks).
- No/fewer medicines used.
- Long term effects.
- No side effects.
- Simple and safe.
- Can be practiced at home.
- Routine unaffected.
- Helps tackle daily physical and mental stress.
- Avoids communicable diseases.
- Reduces the recurrence rates of susceptible diseases.
- Added with many more complementary effects.
By following these natural practices, you can empower your body’s defense system and live a healthier life.
A strong immune system hinges on proper nutrition. Prioritize whole plant foods to harness the power of both macro and micronutrients.
Macronutrients – The Energy Builders:
- Proteins: Vital for healing and recovery, proteins play a central role in the immune system. Eggs, pulses, beans, soy products, dairy, nuts, seeds, and sprouts are rich protein sources.
- Fats: Omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation and foster immune health. Embrace healthy fats like coconut milk, avocado, olive oil, and ghee. Ghee, with Vitamin K, enhances gut absorption, promotes balance, and bolsters immunity.
Micronutrients – The Mighty Supporters:
- Vitamin A: Guards against infections by maintaining skin and tissue health. Carrots, spinach, apricots, and eggs are vitamin A sources.
- Vitamin C: Boosts immunity by aiding antibody formation. Citrus fruits, papaya, strawberries, and fortified cereals are packed with vitamin C.
- Vitamin E: An antioxidant that bolsters immune function. Seek it in sunflower seeds, almonds, and vegetable oils.
- Zinc: Aids immune function and wound healing. Poultry, seafood, whole grains, beans, and nuts are zinc-rich choices.
Additional Immune Allies:
- Antioxidants: Combat damage from oxidants, reducing the risk of heart diseases and cancer. Find them in walnuts, tomatoes, broccoli, and more.
Cultivating a diverse diet with these nutrients strengthens your immune system and fosters overall well-being.
There are multiple immunity boosting techniques, however, you should select a natural one which can be done with minimal efforts. The time needed for the same varies from person to person. Tobacco, alcohol and narcotics diminish physical and mental immunity; hence, it is better to keep them at bay. Waking before dawn, intake of adequate quantity of water, regular bowel movements, exercise, healthy diet, sleep are important ways of boosting immunity. Herbal medicines are to be used only under supervision.